Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Sonnet 2

In this next sonnet, I tried putting the volta in the ninth line, and if you read it in a certain light, you can tell. But upon rereading, I don't think the mood truly does change until the couplet at the end. The natural pattern for me when composing Shakespeare style sonnets seems to be to place the volta in the couplet. I feel that is more natural as well as being more challenging; one must come up with two lines that change the momentum of the previous 12. Still, I plan to write some more with the volta appearing earlier. I will likely not mention it every time I do so, however, since if most readers can't find it, I;m not doing it well enough.

Here is the next sonnet:

Each night I lie in bed, deprived of sleep
Surrounded by the darkness of my room.
The memories I do not wish to keep
Fill spirit, heart and mind with bitter gloom.
A caravan of images invade,
Each one a gateway to a former bliss,
Reminders of how love has never stayed,
Reflections on the mark I always miss.
So many types of beauty have I held
With both my hands and sometimes with my heart
Divinity within me oft has swelled,
Though it be doomed to fade beyond the start.
If I have felt such pulchritude before,
No doubt I shall encounter it once more.

No comments:

Post a Comment