Tuesday, March 5, 2013

English Haiku 4

My exploration of English haiku continues with these selections. I've mentioned before that the haiku I group together in a post were not necessarily all written at the exact same session, though often they were. These five, however, were all written at the exact same session. Though I couldn't know as I wrote them, these five represent what I think are among the best traditional English haiku that I've written during this exploration over the last month or so. In these, I feel I come closest to the ideal pace, meter, and atmosphere of the traditional haiku, as I defined it in my first entry on the subject.


Sitting on the ground.
Mountains rise in front of me.
Sound of flapping wings.

*

Rumble of thunder.
Sky the color of granite.
Imminent cleansing.

*

Dew on blades of grass.
Spider webs share the sparkle
Of the morning light.

(That may be my favorite and best one of this exploration.)

*

Coy shoot through a pond.
Ripples move a lily pad.
Nothing is disturbed.

*

Moonlight on the sea.
Undulation of the waves.
Perfect partnership.

No comments:

Post a Comment