Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Sonnet 16

With the following Italian form sonnet, (with a different CDCEDC sestant) I bring this exploration of sonnets to a close. I find this configuration possibly the most interesting of all of the Italian forms, with the orphaned "E" rhyme placed there in a powerful solitary position. So much was I fascinated by its possibilities that I almost extended my exploration of the sonnets for a while longer, in order to explore it alone.

But in the end, I decided that both my mind, and the blog have reached their fill of sonnets for now. I certainly intend to revisit them at some point, possibly starting with this very form. But for now, it is time to move on to another form. One that isn't quite so draining, perhaps.

As for subject matter, this is probably the most upbeat of all of the sonnets I have written. Sonnets are probably not generally associated with upbeat themes, but it feels appropriate to end my exploration with one that does so.

So next week, you will see something else. But for now enjoy this final sonnet of the exploration.

*

Assemble all precautions in your mind.
With relish now dismiss them one by one.
You'll feel much more alive when it is done.
We must move forward! Never fall behind!
Solicitude. Forgiveness. Being kind.
Protecting weaklings. Singing. Having fun.
To all, show mercy. Angry thoughts to none.
Don't let you better angels be denied.
The world is filled with every kind of strife,
And every day we face a simple choice:
Extend your empty hand, or wield a knife.
The former offers love, the latter fear.
Just put away the blade, and raise your voice.
Embrace the risks that come with living life.

No comments:

Post a Comment