Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Sonnet 5

Many consenting people are kept apart not by the law, but by social norms that weigh heavily on them. This sonnet touches on some of that.

I like some of the lines, but overall I'm not satisfied with this one. I had to abandon iambic pentameter in several lines, for starters. Strictly speaking people write sonnets without it all the time, and I perhaps will intentionally during this exploration. But for now I was hoping to stick with iambic pentameter more consistently than I was able to with this one.

I also had to fall back on some common rhymes. They can't all be unique of course, but a few are a bit like plain white bread in the poetry world and I had to resort to a few of them.

I enjoyed the theme of this one, and had committed to it by the time these problem arose, so I didn't abandon it, and I put up the finished product here for you all to read and perhaps enjoy. But I had to be a bit patchy here and there. Still, not a bad effort, I suppose.

***

Oh take away the multitude of years.
Make insignificant our gap in age.
Ignore the condemnation of our peers.
For love, chronology can be no gauge.
Mere quantity of birthdays cannot be
A reasonable metric for the heart.
Be willing to accept the gift of me.
Why must it matter when my life did start?
If any love for me resides in you,
Let me rest my head upon your shoulder.
When you need comfort, I'll provide it too.
Please don't walk away because I'm older.
I need to let you be the age you are,
And I for now will love you from afar.


No comments:

Post a Comment