Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Sonnet 4

It's early, but this sonnet is probably the one I like the most so far in this exploration. Not perfect, but closest to what I feel the purpose and structure of these sonnets should be, strictly speaking.


***

I know a love that never can be seen.
The love I bare for her, and she for me.
Invisible devotion lies between
The two of us. Like islands and the sea.
The home and family with which she stands
And I cocooned within my loneliness
Unable to fulfill all love's demands.
Unwilling to acknowledge or confess.
I'll never hear her say "Forever yours."
Nor will I hear myself reply in kind.
I am the one I know that she adores,
Yet both of us pretend that we are blind.
Still, when she signs a note with my pet name
I feel as though we're married all the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment