Thursday, May 16, 2013

Sonnet 9

This one gave me a bit of trouble for a while, as I worked with the proper meter in the mid-section. It amazes me how often the perfect line in my head is either nine beats or eleven when I write a sonnet. But I did, as you can see, eventually get the correct number of beats per line. (Though I did have to jiggle the accents a bit in some of the lines. Even Shakespeare did that.)

In the end, I'm satisfied with this one most because I was able to overcome the previously mentioned issues.

I think i will do one more standard Shakespeare style sonnet after this one, and then I will move on to other styles of sonnet, or otherwise be less restrictive in my composition. But that is the future. Until then, enjoy this latest poem.

***

If I could play with Time and rearrange
The order of the days already gone,
I'd only move the one (don't think me strange)
Though all the universe would be my pawn.
The day, but no! The moment that we met.
That's the one I'd steal with such a power.
How very close to perfect life would get.
Heaven at the top of every hour!
But all the hours since would still be there...
Still locked within my too sharp memory.
No mastery of time could make you care.
(Nor any other form of devilry.)
So I will live my good days and my bad.
I'll keep the happy, and get through the sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment