Thursday, May 9, 2013

Sonnet 8

I experimented somewhat with this one, alternating the first word of two lines in a row between two words, and then having both in the closing couplet. The subject matter makes this effective, I think.

***

I can't pretend I've never thought of her.
I won't deny she's often on my mind.
She once was called an angel. I concur.
She is the gentlest person you will find.
I am aware of warnings from my friends.
I hear concerns about my mental state.
"She isn't right. You won't like how this ends."
"She soon will hurt you. She won't hesitate."
I see much more than any of them do.
I love the woman more, the more I learn.
She may not be the type that they would woo.
She doesn't have to be. Let me discern.
I am in love. I do not need consent.
She is the only one that need assent.

No comments:

Post a Comment